2001 NDS & Wood screw tapered tip length

Title: 2001 NDS & Wood screw tapered tip length

L_m=p-E      IF t_m=>p
L_m=t_m      IF t_m<p-E

Interpolate for cases where p-E < t_m <= p

OR

L_m = MIN(p-2D, t_m)

For nails, E=2D is OK
For screws, E=2D is a little conservative, but I doubt if it would make much difference in the final number.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media