Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
All -

I've been doing some research on providing continuity around
openings (windows, doors, etc) in timber-framed shear walls.  I
wanted to poll the practicing community to confirm what I've been
told anecdotally about "normal" methods for providing this

Typically, continuity appears to be provided by using steel strapping
(e.g. Simpson CS-16) placed above and below a window, for example.
Everyone I've talked to so far has given this as the means
"their office" uses.  Has anyone else used another means?  I'm
trying to get a feel for the standardization of this type of detail.
Are there others in use out there that I should/could be investigating?

Thanks for the reality check,


Charles Hamilton, PhD EIT               Faculty Fellow
Department of Civil and                 Phone: 949.824.3752
    Environmental Engineering           FAX:   949.824.2117
University of California, Irvine        Email: chamilto(--nospam--at)

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
* * This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To * subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
* Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at: ******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********