Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

All -

I've been doing some research on providing continuity around
openings (windows, doors, etc) in timber-framed shear walls.  I
wanted to poll the practicing community to confirm what I've been
told anecdotally about "normal" methods for providing this
continuity.

Typically, continuity appears to be provided by using steel strapping
(e.g. Simpson CS-16) placed above and below a window, for example.
Everyone I've talked to so far has given this as the means
"their office" uses.  Has anyone else used another means?  I'm
trying to get a feel for the standardization of this type of detail.
Are there others in use out there that I should/could be investigating?

Thanks for the reality check,

Charley