Re: Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

That's what I have seen most of the time also. However, the main issue, in my opinion, is whether the designer is trying to use this detail to qualify the piers adjacent to the opening for H/W ratio, rather than considering the entire wall height. (Figure 23-II-1 of UBC)

If that is the intent, I normally ask that they provide blocking and edge nailing for the entire pier width along the top and bottom of the opening. Just providing straps at the corners doesn't do the job for that purpose.

That is my take on it. I am sure there are others who look at it differently.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> chamilto(--nospam--at)uci.edu 04/14/04 04:42PM >>>
All -

I've been doing some research on providing continuity around
openings (windows, doors, etc) in timber-framed shear walls.  I
wanted to poll the practicing community to confirm what I've been
told anecdotally about "normal" methods for providing this
continuity.

Typically, continuity appears to be provided by using steel strapping
(e.g. Simpson CS-16) placed above and below a window, for example.
Everyone I've talked to so far has given this as the means
"their office" uses.  Has anyone else used another means?  I'm
trying to get a feel for the standardization of this type of detail.
Are there others in use out there that I should/could be investigating?

Thanks for the reality check,

Charley