From: Andrew Kester [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 15, 2004 7:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: C & C

Jim K:

I guess how much info you put on your plans depends on where you are and the local jurisdiction. The Florida Building Code requires us to supply C and C loads, in psf, "..for the design of exterior compnent and cladding materials not specifically designed by the registered design professional."

At my old company we used to supply the basic information like you first described. At the my current company they had our CAD techs redraw all of the ASCE and FBC wind diagrams and create schedules. The engineers basically fill the shedules out per the ASCE wind tables for all of the situations. These go right on our roof framing plan sheet. This covers not only trusses and joists, but curtain walls, storefront assemblies, doors, windows, misc. metal stud if we don't design it, etc. It is a bit of work up front, but once you create the schedules it is a breeze, no pun intended.

As far as trusses being MWFRS, that means if you remove one truss you are effecting the stability of the entire building? That is just silly.

FBC: "MWFRS: An assemblage of structural elements assigned to provide support and stability for the overall structure."

Andrew kester, PE

  Longwood, FL  32750