Re: Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

> That's what I have seen most of the time also. However, the main issue, in my
> opinion, is whether the designer is trying to use this detail to qualify the
> piers adjacent to the opening for H/W ratio, rather than considering the
> entire wall height. (Figure 23-II-1 of UBC)
>
> If that is the intent, I normally ask that they provide blocking and edge
> nailing for the entire pier width along the top and bottom of the opening.
> Just providing straps at the corners doesn't do the job for that purpose.

Are you talking about a *diagonal* straps at the corner as shown below?

--------------------------------
|        |             |       |
|        |/           \|       |
|        |_____________|       |
|       /|             |\      |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|       \|_____________|/      |
|        |             |       |
|        |\           /|       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
================================

I was talking about full-width horizontal straps as shown below:

--------------------------------
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|========|=============|=======|
|        |_____________|       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |_____________|       |
|========|=============|=======|
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
|        |             |       |
================================

The straps in the lower picture should both be placed adjacent to the opening,
but ASCII art is somewhat limiting.  ;-)  In either case, I have typically
seen/heard about requiring edge nailing around the opening perimeter and
when using aspect ratios per UBC97 Fig 23-II-1(b) (aka. IBC00 Fig 2305.3.4(b)).
Blocking behind the strap is also a typical requirement.

I am somewhat curious about the provision in 2315.5.2 that "Diaphragm sheathing shall not be used to splice these members." While I can see the disadvantage to permitting this in general, assuming that you could support the shear wall capacity (loads and deformations) with testing, would something be wrong with
this practice that I'm missing?  This restriction also appears in 2305.1.2 of
IBC00 and IBC03.

> That is my take on it. I am sure there are others who look at it differently.
>

> Ben Yousefi, SE Santa Monica, CA

Thanks,

Charley