RE: Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

I'm interested in the comments also:

I want to clarify the below comment from Mr. Elbury.  APA has not "put a
stop on their perforated shearwall design approach".  I'm unclear how
this conclusion was drawn.  We support the perforated shear wall
approach as it appears in the 2003 IBC (and NEHRP Provisions).  We have
a research report on the topic (RR157), which has become a bit dated
based on modern code requirements of the "no force transfer around
openings" approach.  If one drew the conclusion that we no longer
support the perforated shear wall approach from information on our
website, it was unintended.

Tom

Thomas D. Skaggs, Ph.D., P.E.
Senior Engineer