Re: Providiing continuity around openings in timber-framed shear walls

Charley, I think your question should be whether you design using the perforated
shearwall or cantilever piers. If you do the former, then I agree with
your strap ties above and below windows but if you use piers, you have a
other components present (rim board, double top plates etc) to ensure
the piers are linked together.

Kevin -

This is the time of the day when I put my foot in my mouth.  ;-)

There are two terms I have heard used regarding shear walls with
penetrations.  One is "shear wall with openings" which I have
typically heard used to refer to a shear wall for which load path
continuity around said openings is provided per IBC00 2305.3.7.1.
The other is "perforated shear wall", which I have typically heard
used to describe a wall for which load path continuity is *not*
provided, per IBC00 2305.3.7.2.

I am talking about "shear walls with openings" rather than
"perforated shear walls".

Perforated shear walls a la IBC is a different topic, on which I
am *also* conducting research, but said research is at a much earlier
stage.

As far as "perforated" vs "with openings" influencing double top
plates, I have been told that double top plates are typical details
in *both* cases, which only makes sense for assuming that the nominal
wall acts as a unit.  Otherwise, you're depending on a single 2x4 to
act as a load collector for the sheathing/framing above whatever opening
you've provided.  This would make me nervous, given the sometimes
dubious timber quality I've seen, both on site and in laboratory
studies.

The last time I looked on the APA
website, they had put a stop on their perforated shearwall design
approach or at least, they have revised it to say that you have to put
tie downs on each pier.

What has changed about APA's stance on perforated shear walls?  I don't
recall there being a requirement/recommendation for hold downs at both
ends of a pier if you used the reduction factors (IBC Table 2305.3.7.2),
just at both ends of the "perforated shear wall".  Tom, did I miss
something?

Charley