Re: Direct Supervision in Texas and WOOD TRUSSES

Christopher,

No harm done, unfortunately the lawyers will get you no matter what, there
is no way to distance yourself completely even if you get a summary judgment
you'll still have legal fees to contend with. When you have multiple
engineers it helps to try to create distinct boarders for the
responsibilities. At least this gives you something to argue in court that's
fairly easy to convey.

As far as checking the actual calcs it would take far longer to check their
complete calcs than to produce my own. There computer printout is coded and
hard to follow. I could just design them in the first place and exclude the
roof truss people all together. Engineering cost for the truss mfr is much
lower since the fella doing the design is not an engineer therefore there is
economic reasons for using trusses not necessarily technical. Idealistically
I would want to check everything but that defeats the purpose of using
pre-engineered anything. Think about it like the 2x4 example. Should you
have to check each and every 2x4 in each structure to ensure that the
grading institution did it's job correctly and gave the proper grade
designation? If you don't and a 2x4 fails (because it was misgraded) are you
liable or is it solely the grading institution's fault?

Rand