RE: A307 Bolts Shear Strength

>According to AISC, the shear strength of A307
>bolts does not depend on whether the threads
>are excluded from the shear plane or not.
>What is the reason for this?

This is not exactly true. Strength *would* depend on whether the threads are
in the shear plane or not for A307 bolts. However, the threaded length for
A307 bolts is longer, and threads are therefore not as easily excluded from
the shear plane. As a result, the historic approach to A307 bolts was to
simply use one value and always assume the threads were in the shear plane.

Charlie