RE: Components & Cladding for Wood Roof Trusses

Wow, this will really flip out the truss suppliers that I work with.

I suggest that any EOR reviewing truss calcs pay _very_ close attention to
them.  I sent a rather long e-mail to the list on this subject on March 1st
under the subject of "Code violations--plated wood trusses--unbalanced
loads".

About 1,000 trusses have been intstalled on a project of mine and I still
have not receieved adequate calculations for them. The most recent submittal
shows truss plates of different sizes than the first submittal.
Unfortunately these trusses have already been fabricated and installed, and
I doubt that little elves went and put the newly calc'd plate sizes on all
of them.

I agree that   roof trusses should be designed for C&C loading.  But from my
experience, you'd better not rely on the designer to get in right.

Mitek's latest software has an option for printing out load diagrams for
trusses, which is extremely helpful for checking for proper load designs.

Thor Matteson