misc.

Title: Message
Jim K:
To clarify, the C & C loading schedules we put on our plans are for the specialty engineers. We may use them in the design of a connection or individual element, or if it is for the design of a column or footing we use MWFRS. To me it is a judgement call, there are enough ASCE guidelines and examples that give a good basis, but it comes down to engineering judgement. I use the rule of thumb of does it provide overall stability of the structure for the loading you are applying. If yes, then it is MWFRS. It does get a little confusing because one element could be both. We design CMU walls laterally using C & C loads but in shear using MWFRS.....

Brick Lintels
Someone was asking a few days ago about how to do a lintel where the brick wraps around and is visible from underneath. I was made aware of a manufacturer that is supposedly the "standard", Halfen. They make all types of brick lintel and anchoring products.

Books of Concrete Details
I find CRSI and PCI manuals to be very detailed, practical, and useful. Also they are full of design tables. But for the grad student in Japan be aware of our good ol' 'Merican system of units....

CMU Lintel in Torsion
If your block is not exposed, I would go with a cast-in-place concrete beam, so your shear and torsion stirrups are more easily installed. Also it is easier to construct a CIP curved beam. But you may not be required to supply torsion shear stirrups, it depends on how high of a torque you have, see ACI 11.6.1 and the rest of Chapter 11. Also with CIP beams you can tie them into CIP tie columns....

Andrew kester, PE

LONGWOOD, FL