Texas Engineer

Is anyone familiar with a Houston engineer named C. Randolph Riddell?

In particular,  his name was listed on the agenda of the March 2002 Texas Board of Professional Engineers Regular Quarterly Board Meeting under:

D. Disciplinary Matters - Practice Violations
Consent Orders/Agreed Board Orders (1-9) - EXHIBIT 6d

What do these disciplinary matters encompass?

My interest was "piqued"  by a letter of his that was published in the April 2004 Concrete International,  the publishing of which, in my opinion, represents a new low for the magazine.

There was also a letter, of the same quality, from someone at Soff-Cut, the early-entry saw people, who seem to be kind of interesting folks.  Since the ACI 302 document discussed the use of early entry saws,  they apparently decided to buy a .PDF copy of the document and put it on their web site so that the entire world could download it for free and learn how great their product was.  I guess that little copyright thingyee was not considered to be a big deal.

I will note my interest in the letters was motivated by one of my own that was published. I commented on a document previously published in Concrete International that was written under the name of the American Society of Concrete Construction.

The article started with the sentence:

Most project specifications, including ACI 301-99, 'Specification for Structural Concrete', reference ACI 117-90, 'Standard Specifications for Tolerances for Concrete Construction and Materials.'

I pointed out that ACI 301 was not a project specification, and they answered with:  "The statement in the article concerning ACI 301 was not intended to imply that ACI 301 is a project specification."

So now I am wondering what exactly they think the definition of the verb "to include" is.  Isn't a word you learn by fourth grade?

Their response also included the helpful information that 3 x 1/2 = 1-1/2, which is sure to be of value to anyone who has trouble with multiplication or fractions.

Gail Kelley