RE: Components & Cladding for Wood Roof Trusses

You're not really going to destroy good Crown Royal with Coke are you?

J. Grill

-----Original Message-----
From: John C. Jones [mailto:john(--nospam--at)struct-engr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 1:29 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Components & Cladding for Wood Roof Trusses

I talked to him again.  He said that he had an article from the plate folks
that said MWFRS was appropriate and that it referred to ASCE7.  When I asked
which version he said '88.  I faxed him the provision in '98 that said C&C.
I'm in a 70mph zone for SBC and 90 for IBC/ASCE7.  He was using 80mph.  I
assumed SBC.  The drawings called for 70 mph SBC.  He changed it so it's C&C
and to 70.  After more conversations I realized he went to 70 mph ASCE7.
The person I'm talking to is someone I personally know through Habitat for
Humanity.  The company he works for is one of the better suppliers in
central AL.  He has an AE degree to boot.  He's trying to do the right
thing, but the propaganda he's being fed from the plate end is a bit scary.
It's scary to me because this guy is "one of the good guys."  If there is
this much code confusion on his end then what's it like for smaller jobs
supplied by smaller manufacturers.   He's making it right and hand
delivering a new set of submittals today.  I'm going to be even more wary on
future jobs with other suppliers.

When I see/type C&C the last thing that comes to mind is Components and
Cladding.  Have a Crown and Coke, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Thanks for everyones help.

John C. Jones, PE
Barnett Associates
Pell City, AL