Quonset Huts to Barrel Roofs (An Update)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier message about quonset
huts.  However, it turns out that my Architect friend can't tell a
quonset hut from a conventional building with an arched or barrel
roof.

The "staves" of the barrel are 2"x6" at 16" centres running the
length of the building and the "hoops" of the barrel are 1"x4" at 16"
centres nailed to the 2"x6".  Then 1"x4" tongue and groove are nailed
lengthwise to the 1"x4" hoops.

Originally, a ceiling was at the top of the wall which resisted the
outward thrust of the circular arch, but the tenants removed this
ceiling to get more head room and installed a centre wall running the
entire length of the building and then installed 1/4" diameter
aircraft cable in 3 places across the width to resist the outward
lateral forces from the arch.

Why the whole thing did not come crashing down when they were doing
the work is beyond me.  I believe that the 1"x4" hoops and the tongue
and groove are acting as a thin shell and the 2"x6" running the
length acting as a form.  So far, I have not been able to find any
info on this type of construction and wonder if anyone has any info.

Gary Hodgson, P.Eng.
Niagara Falls, ON