RE: Laminated, curved stair stringer

Dmitri:
The "Shear Parallel to Grain" (Fv) property, is used for the torsional analysis of Sawn Lumber.

Casey K. Hemmatyar, P.E.

I have been asked to design a stair stringer for a curved stair that will be
constructed of microlam or versalam material.  The stringer(s) will have no
intermediate support (this is not a spiral stair), so the loads will be
significant.  My primary concern is torsion stress in the stringer.  I have
not been able to locate any method for determining the allowable torsion in
a wood member.  Do I simply use the values for allowable shear?
Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dmitri Wright, S.E.