RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

I'm aware of the LA City approach (the Bay Area [TriChapter] has adopted it
as well), but why surcharge the "weak/soft" line? The greater load on a
"weak/soft" line will be based on tributary area, i.e, FDA, so why add
anymore load to that line?

Allowing an option to RDA is an improvement, but penalizing the "weak" line
by 20% is still excessive <insert obligatory "IMHO" here> when a RDA/FDA
envelope would show, and which *most* critical thinking, rational engineers
would agree based on observation of the model alone, that the maximum load
on the "weak" line is obtained from the FDA approach.

I believe that the 20% broadbrush approach is good, but only when it's not
obvious.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA