RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Stan,
You can't blame the building official - he is the entitled to enforce
the code. The problem lies with the code writer who often has no
practical ability in wood design. The penalty that the Tri-County (and
BTW Ben Yousefi who created this document is now with the City of Santa
Monica - one of the most persistent in the use of full-compliance and
code compliance on all types of structures including RDA on Residential)
method imposes is simply an alternative that assures a structure is not
designed to "less than what the code requires". It keeps it within the
letter of the code to help reduce the engineer's potential liability.

Change the code and you can do what you like with simplification and
methodology to work on better construction technique and better drawing
representation.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant