Foundation Connection

UBC/CaBC 1807.2 mandates connection of individual pile caps and caissons
by grade beams capable of resisting 10 percent of the column force.  It
does not say anything about spread footings.

IBC 1805.4.2.2 has similar requirements for spread footings in
high-seismic zones at sites with poor soils (Site class E or F).

What is common practice in CaBC land for spread footings carrying
non-lateral-load-resisting columns?  I can see a strong case for tieing
the footings together, but cannot find a code reference to make my case
with my client.  Can anyone shed some light on why the CaBC doesn't
require spread footings to be connected?

Thanks,

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota