RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

"To the many engineers that claim that they have been doing wood design (or  any design) in a certain fashion for so many years û my question is ôso  what? ö.  People in the steel industry that had been designing pre-Northridge moment connection for years before Northridge hit and were forced to change."

But that's just the problem.  With the exception of certain rotational mechanism/soft story issues that affected certain very specific layouts, traditional wood frame has done just fine in recent earthquakes.  Why fix what was not broken?  Doing a more time-consuming analysis does not necessarily correlate to a better end product for the user.

Paul Crocker, PE, SE