Sent: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: soils pressure

joseph-
So what you are saying is that you have an architect/contractor/owner who is an expert in retaining wall design and matters geotechnical?  Sheesh!  Why not let him design the wall?

In answer to your question, if you restrain the wall, yes you will probably get substantial pressure.  And it may happen as you backfill the wall and compact the "free-draining fill".  I suppose the architect/contractor/owner probably also wants to backfill the wall before the diaphragm is in place, too.  Don't take a chance by restraining the wall with a diaphragm if you don't design the diaphragm to carry the load.
Regards,
Bill Cain