Re: Question regarding seismic joints

Thanks for your reply, Ben. Would you say that an addition to a building, with separate gravity and lateral load resisting systems and a separate foundation, would qualify as an "adjacent building on the same property". If not, why? You've probably figured out that I am designing an addition to a building in category C. Thanks for your help.

Ben Cornelius

From: "Ben Yousefi" <Ben-Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.santa-monica.ca.us>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding seismic joints
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:24:38 -0700

Section 1617.3 deals with portions of a structure within the same building. Section 1620 deals with separation of adjacent buildings on the same property or from a property line. Apparently it was determined that buildings in SDC A, B and C do not need to be seismically separated from each other (possibly to accommodate the dense construction in urban areas of the east coast).

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> bcorneli(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 04/22/04 09:25AM >>>
I am reading the IBC 2000.  In Chapter 1620, "Earthquake Loads - Design,
Detailing Requirements and Structural Component Load Effects", there is a
requirement for buildings in Seismic Design Categories D, E and F that "all
structures shall be separated from adjoining structures.  Separations shall
allow for the displacement delta-M...", which is calculated using the sum of
the squares method on the seismic displacements of the two buildings.  This
requirement appears not to apply to buildings in Seismic Design Categories
A, B or C.

However, in Chapter 1617,"Earthquake Loads - Minimum Design Lateral Force
and Related Effects", there is a requirement in 1617.3 that "all portions of
the building shalll be designed to act as an integral unit in resisting
seismic forces unless separated structurally by a distance sufficient to
avoid damaging contact under total deflection, delta-x."  This separation
requirement appears to be general, and applicable to all Seismic Design
Categories.

Does anyone know if the 1617 requirement really does apply to all Design
Categories?  If so, do you know whether the "distance sufficient to avoid
damaging contact" would be calculated using the sum of the square method? I
am confused because these two requirements seem redundant in some respects.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer.  Thank you.

Ben Cornelius, PE

From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring
Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx