Re: Question regarding seismic joints

Thank you.  I believe I agree.

Ben

From: "Ben Yousefi" <Ben-Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.santa-monica.ca.us>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: Question regarding seismic joints
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:34:58 -0700

From the letter, and the intent of the code perspective, I would say that the addition is a portion of the building and you would need the seismic gap. Personally, I even question the exemption for separate buildings in SDC A-C. If I were the designer I would provide the gap no matter what.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> bcorneli(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 04/22/04 02:52PM >>>
Thanks for your reply, Ben.  Would you say that an addition to a building,
with separate gravity and lateral load resisting systems and a separate
foundation, would qualify as an "adjacent building on the same property".
If not, why? You've probably figured out that I am designing an addition to
a building in category C.  Thanks for your help.

Ben Cornelius

>From: "Ben Yousefi" <Ben-Yousefi(--nospam--at)ci.santa-monica.ca.us>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Re: Question regarding seismic joints
>Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:24:38 -0700
>
>Section 1617.3 deals with portions of a structure within the same building.
>Section 1620 deals with separation of adjacent buildings on the same
>property or from a property line. Apparently it was determined that
>buildings in SDC A, B and C do not need to be seismically separated from
>each other (possibly to accommodate the dense construction in urban areas
>of the east coast).
>
>Ben Yousefi, SE
>Santa Monica, CA

>I am reading the IBC 2000.  In Chapter 1620, "Earthquake Loads - Design,
>Detailing Requirements and Structural Component Load Effects", there is a
>requirement for buildings in Seismic Design Categories D, E and F that "all >structures shall be separated from adjoining structures. Separations shall
>allow for the displacement delta-M...", which is calculated using the sum
>of
>the squares method on the seismic displacements of the two buildings. This >requirement appears not to apply to buildings in Seismic Design Categories
>A, B or C.
>
>However, in Chapter 1617,"Earthquake Loads - Minimum Design Lateral Force
>and Related Effects", there is a requirement in 1617.3 that "all portions
>of
>the building shalll be designed to act as an integral unit in resisting
>seismic forces unless separated structurally by a distance sufficient to
>avoid damaging contact under total deflection, delta-x."  This separation
>requirement appears to be general, and applicable to all Seismic Design
>Categories.
>
>Does anyone know if the 1617 requirement really does apply to all Design
>Categories?  If so, do you know whether the "distance sufficient to avoid
>damaging contact" would be calculated using the sum of the square method?
>am confused because these two requirements seem redundant in some respects.
>
>I would greatly appreciate any assistance you could offer.  Thank you.
>
>Ben Cornelius, PE

>From must-see cities to the best beaches, plan a getaway with the Spring
>Travel Guide! http://special.msn.com/local/springtravel.armx

>*
>*
>*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
>*
>*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

>*
>*
>*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
>*
>*   site at: http://www.seaint.org

Get rid of annoying pop-up ads with the new MSN Toolbar * FREE!