RE: soils pressure

While water pressure is independent of the width of fluid behind a wall,
soil pressure acts differently due to "internal friction". Although soil
pressure is often quoted as an "equivalent fluid pressure", it does not act
the same as a fluid. (Please refer to your college soil's textbook for
Coulomb and Rankine earth pressure theory.)

With a limited width of soil behind a wall, the lateral pressure on the wall
should be reduced due to the limited mass which can slide on a failure
plane.

If rock stands vertically, then at that point in time it is not exerting any
lateral forces. However, fractured rock can exert lateral forces due to
slipping of rock mass along a fractured surface. Thus the condition of the
rock mass will affect the magnitude of the lateral force.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311