RE: soils pressure

YUP!

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Rogers [mailto:RRogers(--nospam--at)lorwil.com]
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 1:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: soils pressure

Man....I love this forum......

Believe it or not... I had this issues arise recently in a similare
situation......cutting a rock hillside.......wanting to leaving minimal
distance between the rock and the back wall of the building to install
formwork for the concrete wall & a drainage layer.......what pressure to
design the concrete wall for ?....others on the job were trying to say the
"width" of the cut greatly affected the load that the wall would see....I
disagreed.....the geotech settled the issue.... recommended an "at-rest"
coefficient (with use with the granular specific weight) due to potential
for "compaction" of the granular layer between the wall & the rock
cut....even though the rock was believed to be "good" (intact with little
potential for fracture).........the "width" of the granular layer was not a
factor  (4 ' or 7' no the geotech didn't make any distinction)........rock
cut varied from 8-10 ft. to 20 ft......I looked in several "references" for
an answer...couldn't find one....it's very difficult to find references that
address thing other than the "typical situations".....we all know that soil
& water behave a little differently...however we also realize that many
things happen not addressed in the "text books".....good'ole engineering
judgement....gotta love it.....

Robert Rogers, PE