From: Robert Freeman
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: 4/24/04 10:27 AM
Subject: Fire Damage repairs

Oshin:

Thanks for your return e-mail.

You may want to look at Title 24, Part 1 in addition to Section 3400.
Investigate 'required structural repairs'.   50% repairs due to fire
damage appear to be part of 'required structural repairs'.  I do not
have a copy of that document.

When a building undergoes 'required structural repairs' the full new
code will be enforced.  Examples of a 'non-required structural repair'
would be deferred maintenance:  re-roofing, repair minor spalled
concrete.

Examples of 'required structural repair' could include replacing damaged
reinforcement in a concrete beam, or replacing damaged structural wood
floor beams.  There can be a fine line between the two in some
conditions that require engineering judgement on the part of the
Engineer and the Building Official.

with Joy and Hope,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer