Offset Shearwalls

Fellow Engineers:
I'd appreciate design advice re shearwalls vertically
offset between floors, with floor joists parallel to
the walls. According to the NDS (1995 High Wind
Addition) the max offset is 4d (d=joist depth) when
floor joists are normal to the shearwalls. I can't
reconcile this simple rule with my load model so I've
likely missed something.

Thanks,
Irv