Re: Torsion in Masonry Beam

I'd be reluctant to use the ACI formulas for torsion in masonry because typically-built masonry is not monolithic, but has a pattern of voids built into it  -- the head joints are not filled with mortar; nor are the bedjoints that are aligned with the unit webs.  There may be a reason that there are no design rules related to torsion in masonry  -- has any research been done on torsion in masonry?  The use of H-shaped open-end blocks may be a way to overcome my concerns here.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net