Re: Torsion in Masonry Beam

Nels,

I would definitely agree that just using the ACI 318 (concrete) forumulas
for torsion for masonry is not a good idea.  They, however, SHOULD be able
to be used as a "guideline".  The real quesiton is what multipler of
sqrt(f'm) [equivalent to the multiplier of sqrt(f'c) for concrete] should
be used for the masonry portion of torsion.  I would definitetly not use
the value used in the ACI 318 formulas...I would suspect it would be lower
that what is used in ACI 318.  The formulas for steel contribution should
be fairly close, but still caution should be used.

>From my perspective, the torsional design THEORY used in ACI 318 should
be applicable to masonry...just the formulas would need to be
"tweaked"...just as the concrete strength design (flexure and shear) were
"tweaked" for used with masonry (i.e. strength design in concrete and
masonry use the same methodology/theory).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI