Torsion on steel stairs

I looked around this weekend and saw many sets of steel pan stairs that just have the posts welded on top of the top flange.  Does anyone know of a procedure for determining the capacity of the channel in resisting the loads from the post?

It appears to me that the very thin channels will not be able to carry the post loads.  I am talking about the cantilever force from a load a top of rail down to a point where the steel pan is welded to the stringer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.