Steel embedded in concrete

Richard Lewis <rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com> wrote:

"I was considering bolting an angle to the wall
and burying it in the concrete slab for support of the slab.  The slab
would be a one-way slab so the angle would be the primary support.

I would like some advice on what to do with the angle.  Should I leave
it
as "black steel"?  Should it be galvanized?  Maybe coated with zinc-rich
primer?  Should I wrap it in building paper so the concrete doesn't bond
to the steel so that when the concrete shrinks it doesn't pull the bolts
out of the wall?"

Richard,
I would excavate 4 or 6 inches deeper along the slab, under the angle,
and let the concrete completely surround the angle.  If it's completely
buried in concrete, unless you're in a very corrosive environment, I
don't think you need to coat it with anything.  I would put the angle
vertical leg up so that it is restrained by the slab; then the anchor
bolts are only in shear.  The size of slab that you can support with a
bolted angle isn't going to shrink enough to worry about.

My thoughts,

Mike Hemstad, P.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota