RE: CMU wall grout lift height

Dear Will,

For high-lift grouting, I require that a face shell be removed at the base
of every reinforced column of cells.   This is to ensure that the grout
makes it all the way down and that all of the cells are filled.  At this
point I would require removal of 2 face shells at the base of each
reinforced column (location of verical bar), one on the inside and one on
the outside of the wall.  If all of them are solidly grouted, then all is
probably OK.  If you see problems with over 5% (my gut, not code) I would
seriously consider rejecting the wall.  No-one will be happy about that
(except the block, rebar, and grout suppliers), but the mason will probably
follow instructions more closely in the future.  Document everything, and
expect a fight.

Donald R. Bryant, PE
STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY
518 Bushnell Drive