From: Jason W. Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 12:32 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: NCEES Structural II / California SE exam References old
codes

I've never spotted that section before...  The 2000 IBC has similar
wording in section 104.11.

Ok, you can (and probably should) use the latest and greatest ASCE 7,
even with an older building code.  It has the most up-to-date (I won't
say
"accurate") research on how wind, seismic, snow, etc. forces affect
structures.

But what about cases where the new codes are LESS conservative than
older codes, like the ACI 318?  The '99 version uses the old ACI load
factors while the '02 version uses the (lower) ASCE load factors with
different phi factors.  I'm quite positive that the new code is "safe",
but would a plaintiff's lawyer see that way if something goes wrong,
even something totally unrelated to the concrete design?

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri