From: Dennis Wish
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: 4/26/04 5:17 PM
Subject: RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

.

The problem was a wall. There are two openings. The plate height is
14-feet. .....

A plywood shearwall would need to be sheathed both sides and the height
just makes the 2:1 ratio. I don't like the amount of drift on the wall -
it's too flexible. I wanted to use a Hardy Frame, but the 12'-0" tall
frame by 64-inch wide will not meet the demand of 5,700 pounds.

I called Hardy and they recommended that I use two of their 24" x 12'-0"
tall panels with 1-1/8" diameter anchor bolt and design the foundation
for the moment created between the two frames (one column goes into
compression while the other a foot or more away is in tension).