RE: Steel Detailing Charges

I was being semi-facetious with my comments.  "Industry Standard" appears to
be 5-6 sets.  We get submittals with as few as 3 to as many as 12 sets.  On
the 12-set submittal, we marked up 6 and returned 6 "un-reviewed".

Following your logic, the detailer should only submit ONE set.  The SE marks
it up, pays to make a record copy, then forwards the marked original back up
the chain.  Anyone else who wants a copy makes one.

I personally think that 3 should be the standard.  One for the SE, for
his/her client (usually an architect), and one reproducible back to the
contractor.  If the engineer and architect work for the same firm the number
should be reduced to 2.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC