Site classification - IBC

I have a situation where rock is about 20' down and is good for 40 ksf.  The top 20' isn't too good so the building will be on drilled piers.  IBC 1615.1.5 gives a procedure for determining the site class based on different strata of soil.  I don't see it clearly spelled out when you have solid rock that you're bearing on and then soft soil above.  This is making the difference in lateral load of 350k versus 200k.  Anyone run into this?

John C. Jones, PE
Barnett Associates
Pell City, AL
205-884-5334