RE: Steel Detailing Charges

Dear Mark,

I detailed steel for 4 years while I was completing my degree at night.  I
was a detailer and a checker, on the board and with a detailing package in
AutoCAD.  That was in the late '80's and early '90's when the detailing
packages were very weak.  I now focus on connection design as my niche, and
work with detailers all the time.  Unless ridiculously complicated, I used
to estimate columns at 1.5 hours detailing time.  This, of course goes up
with complication, or down if they are very simple.  Then add 15 to 25% for
checking.  Current software packages are much more friendly, and although a
change in BP. EL. Affects many other dims., they may be able to just change
the BP. EL and averything else automatically updates.   If you have the
authority, I would disapprove the claim, and ask for revised numbers from
this world.

Don Bryant