From: Haan, Scott M. [mailto:HaanSM(--nospam--at)ci.anchorage.ak.us]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 2:20 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Cold formed framing - wood panel horizontal diaphragm design values?

Anyone:

The 2000 and 2003 IBC have shearwall design values for wood panel on cold formed light gage metal studs.  I have a designer asking whether these shear values can be used for a horizontal diaphragm.

Is there any research being done on wood panel horizontal diaphragms on cold formed steel framing?  Is there anything going to be in the 2006 IBC? Are there any design values currently available from APA or AISI etc…?

Thanks.

Scott M. Haan P.E.
Chief of Building Inspections

Municipality of Anchorage
Development Services  Department
Mission Statement:  Guide safe construction and responsible development for the community.