RE: Cold Formed Framing - wood panel horizontal diaphragm design values?

Be cautious, the Light Gauge Steel Engineers Association (LGSEA) - they
have some information for members although I suppose you could purchase
reprints of their newsletters.
The 1997 UBC published the final findings of the LGSEA supported testing
of plywood shearwalls on cold-form steel. It differs from the APA
documents. The difference is that the LGSEA documents and testing
reduced the capacity of the shearwalls from what APA used in their
reports. The greatest disagreement between the two reports is that the
LGSEA documents indicated that stiffer studs (16-gauge verses 18 or 20
gauge) induced greater potential for shearing failure of the screws. A
lighter gauge stud caused more flexibility and lowered the failure rate
of the panel. In other words, the critical factor was the screw, not the
plywood or the stud. The in-plane shear strength of the panel was
reduced to balance the flexibility of the studs and the shear strength
of the screws.
For the last I heard, APA did not agree with this finding even though it
was published as the 1997 UBC and I think in the IBC (although I don't
have the knowledge of this being a Californian since I only use the CBC
or the 97 UBC). I think additional testing is in the works although I
have not heard much more about it.
Contact LGSEA to obtain their comments and also review the design
examples in the ICBO Seismic Design Manual Volume II based on the 97
UBC. I was fortunate to be one of the example problem checkers on the
cold-form examples.

Regards

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer