RE: Millau Viaduct

Title: Message
Stan,

I don't mean to split hairs, but since I'm a nerdy structural engineer, and my HP15C is laying right over there . . .

According to the second link, "This project has the highest bridge piers in world.  Thus the title of the Highest Bridge in the World. The tallest will be 240 meters high."  The way I do the math, the tallest pier is about 787 feet.

And I didn't understand this part, "Overall height an outstanding 336.4 meters."  It implies to me that there's something that's higher than the piers.  But again, isn't that equivalent to only 1104 feet high?

And then there's another place that has these statistics:

Construction Date: 2001
Completion Date: 2005
Statistics: Length: 2.5 km
Height: 280 m

So the height is either 280m, or 240m, or 336.4m . . . dang, I give up!

But, I have to agree with you, it's a cool looking structure and an awesome undertaking.  I hope the people who did the calcs were better at math that those that wrote the story.

JPRiley

Here are a couple of links describing an absolutely amazing structural engineering project.

At least, I am amazed by this bridge.  It is more than 1.5 miles long, with typical spans of 1,115 feet and pier heights up to 1,165 feet.

http://www.viaducdemillaueiffage.com/accueil.asp?ref_document=3463

http://bridgepros.com/projects/Millau_Viaduct/

Enjoy!

Stan R. Caldwell, P.E.