RE: Millau Viaduct

John:

My guess is that when they refer to "piers" they are talking the concrete
columns/piers that go from grade/foundation to deck level.  This gets to
the 240m height.  The overall height it likely to the top of the
masts/towers for the cable stays.  And the the 280m is likely from the
lowest point of the valley to the deck (some of the pictures appear to
imply that there is still a drop in elevation from the "lowest" pier base
to the bottom of the valley).

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI