RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Dennis Wish wrote:

"these panels do not extend to the roof and I do consider the area above the
header that is designed to transfer diaphragm shear to the proprietary
frames, but there is two feet of wall that needs to be converted into a drag
strut by plywood sheathing, blocking and nailing and possibly strapping to
drag the diaphragm down. This also needs to be considered by the designers
when using proprietary panels that do not make a connection to the underside
of the double top plates."

Dennis,

How do you prevent a Hardy Frame, or any other proprietary wall that does
not extend to the top plate, from out-of-plane instability when loaded in
plane?

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA