Concrete Chutzpa

Owner hired you to evaluate and recommend.  Sounds like you completed your
task.  At this point owner could hire you once again to write an opinion
letter, if you observed the installation and concur with the fix.
Otherwise, the onus should be on the contractor to verify, by hiring another
engineer or testing agency if needed, that his repair was substantially the
same or better than your recommendations.

JPRiley
---------------------

Fellow Engineers:
Here is my latest example of chutzpa, but you have to
read to the last paragraph:

The owner of a small dwelling hired me assess a
cracked and settled 4 ft section of foundation (3
block stem wall and 8"x16" plain concrete footing) and
recommend a fix. The cause was a close-by rainwater
downspout that washed out the soil beneath the
footing. My report recommended replacing the damaged
section of footing & block and replace with new.

The owner then hired a local concrete guy who did his
thing - he poured a yard of concrete in front of the
inside face of the footing to "encapsulate and
underpin" it. Of course his was the least expensive
quote.

A potential buyer of this house was given my report
(because of disclosure rules in NJ)and asked the owner
that I evaluate what the concrete guy did. The owner
then told me to write a letter stating this fix is OK,
or else the sale would be held up! He also blurted
that the concrete guy's fix was better than mine.

Irv

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---