RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Oshin,
This is a good question. Mike Cochran asked me a similar question and I
responded back and forth a couple of times. I reposted his comments and
the previous posts under the title of Out-of-plane forces and hinge
effects. In short, I think you will see that I don't consider thin any
more of a problem than would occur it you have a series of windows,
sliding, glass doors, garage fronts etc. These all introduce hinges and
rely only on the double king posts at each side of the opening to brace
the initial hinge. Please read the post for more comment.
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer