RE: Rigid vs. Flexible Diaphragm

Dennis,

I wasn't talking about wind loads for out-of plane instability of shear
panels. Just like any lateral load resisting system, shearwalls need lateral
support at their top to prevent "twisting or torsion" due to in-plane loads.

Now, for a proprietary shearwall not reaching the top plate, You may argue
that the ends can be restrained by the king studs or posts, if detailed
properly. However, you may need to verfy this with the manufacturer as these
walls were tested, I believe, with their tops supported by a simulated
diaphragm.

Just think of a moment frame in a wall not reaching the diaphragm and you
want to transfer the loads to the frame with a sheathed cripple wall. Do you
think the frame is stable?

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA