RE: Garage load on composite deck + concrete

Why did you assume a 1’-0” width? The concentrated load will spread out to some effective width of slab. As a rule of thumb I usually assume a width equal to 50% of the span for concentrated loads on concrete slabs. I think it would be reasonable to assume the same thing here.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Grill [mailto:jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com]
Sent:
Friday, April 30, 2004 10:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Garage load on composite deck + concrete

I was just presented a design (done by another) for a 2” composite deck with a concrete topping of 2” over the deck (4” total).  The deck and concrete system is supported by steel beams spaced at 6’ o.c..  This design was for a residential garage.  I did preliminary calculations equating the moment from the allowable superimposed uniform loads (from the deck manufacturer) with the moment from a concentrated load as required by both the 2000 IBC (2000#) and the 2003 IBC (3000#) assuming that the load will act on a 1’ wide section.  I found the deck system will not work.  What do others of you do?  It looks to me like the concrete thickness will have to be increased to where a reinforced slab thickness above the deck will be adequate by itself for flexure and shear.  On the other hand, one of the manufacturers I spoke with this morning suggested getting a copy of the “Composite Steel Deck Design Handbook” by SDI.  Will that be of help in this instance?   Of course this is an ASAP thing as construction is continuing and I don’t have a copy.

Thanks,

Joe Grill