From: Rick Burch [mailto:rburch(--nospam--at)conterra.com]
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 12:38 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Site classification - IBC

John,
Here is my understanding on how the avereraging is done:

1.  The IBC formula doesn't use blow count, shear wave velocity, AND
undrained shear strength,  you (or actually the geotechnical person) use
only one of the three.  See 1615.1.1.  It says that when shear wave
velocity data is not known, you can use N values OR undrained shear
strength values.

2. See 1615.1.5 for averaging.  The top 100 feet is divided in to n
layers, for example 20 at 5' each, and the test values at each of these
points are averaged.

3.  Section 1615.1.5 covers what to do with the rock N values.  On page
352, it says N is ... not to exceed 100, as Thomas Hunt said.  So you
might be averaging in a lot of 100s for the layers of your 100 feet that
are in solid rock.  In other words, you might have:  5 6 8 7 9 12  13
15  22  33  35 ... 100 100 100 100 100.

Rick Burch
Columbia, SC