RE: Garage load on composite deck + concrete

JG:

Just shooting from the hip here, but I think you can consider that the load is carried by a width of slab 40% of the span.  In other words, 0.4(6')= 2.4' in lieu of the 1' wide section you mentioned.  I don't remember where the 40% came from, but I remember that I did something like that with cored slabs in the past.

John Riley

I was just presented a design (done by another) for a 2” composite deck with a concrete topping of 2” over the deck (4” total).  The deck and concrete system is supported by steel beams spaced at 6’ o.c..  This design was for a residential garage.  I did preliminary calculations equating the moment from the allowable superimposed uniform loads (from the deck manufacturer) with the moment from a concentrated load as required by both the 2000 IBC (2000#) and the 2003 IBC (3000#) assuming that the load will act on a 1’ wide section.  I found the deck system will not work.  What do others of you do?  It looks to me like the concrete thickness will have to be increased to where a reinforced slab thickness above the deck will be adequate by itself for flexure and shear.  On the other hand, one of the manufacturers I spoke with this morning suggested getting a copy of the “Composite Steel Deck Design Handbook” by SDI.  Will that be of help in this instance?   Of course this is an ASAP thing as construction is continuing and I don’t have a copy.

Thanks,

Joe Grill