Re: Site classification - IBC

William,
I agree that the layers are not necessarily equal, and should match the soil profile.

As far as rock goes, the IBC does allow some assumptions. See 1615.1.1 where it says "Where site-specific data are not available to a depth of 100 feet , appropriate soil properties are permitted to be estimated by the registered design professional preparing the soils report based on known geologic conditions."

That matches the approach that I have seen in geotechnical reports. If they get down to bedrock at 50 feet, say, and pound 45 blows and only go 3/4", I have seen them assume 100 bpf material from there on down based on their knowledge of the bedrock.
Rick Burch
Columbia, SC

Sherman, William wrote:

Rick, I agree with you on item 1 (below). And I agree "in general" with item
2, except that the 'n' layers need not be equal layers. The layers can vary
in thickness and should correspond with changes in soil properties. Thus you
could use 1 layer of 20-ft with N=15 and 1 layer of 80-ft with N=100.
However in item 3, there are problems with using N=100 for rock, at least
based on a "literal" reading of the code. First the code states that 'N'
must be based on blow counts "directly measured in the field" - so if you
didn't do blow counts in the rock, you don't meet this requirement.
Furthermore, Table 1615.1.1 lists the Standard penetration resistance, N, as
"Not applicable" for rock under Site Classes A & B; however, it does permit
'N' values for "soft rock" under Site Class C.
I guess that you could ask the driller to pound on the rock to confirm the
100 blow counts and then argue that the rock is at least as good as "soft
rock" with N>=100. Without actual values, you would have to argue that the
rock properties are well enough understood to "assume" N=100, even though
the code doesn't explicitly allow "assumptions".

William C. Sherman, PE (Bill Sherman) CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311
Fax: 303-293-8236
email: shermanwc(--nospam--at)cdm.com