Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Slump Block

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

I haven't dealt with slump block (or "slumpstone") for many years--here's
what I remember.

They are concrete masonry units intended to mimic adobe.  This could explain
why you didn't see them until moving "out west".

The following is what my previous employer beat into me, so this is
second-hand expertise.

The blocks are manufactured by casting a taller-than-normal blocks, ejecting
them from the mold, and squishing (technical term) them down to the modular
height--usually 3-5/8", as 8-inch high blocks wouldn't look much like adobe

The squishing does two things:  It makes the block more dense than standard
blocks, and it makes the cavities smaller and more irregular.

My previous employer required that all slumpstone units be bond-beam units
to facilitate grout flow throughout the smaller, more irregular cavities.
He also specified slightly drier grout, since the more dense masonry would
not absorb as much excess water from the grout.

Essentially you're dealing with CMU construction, just not smooth surfaces.


******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********