Sent: Saturday, May 01, 2004 3:24 PM
Subject: RE: Wet Concrete Lateral Pressure

Joe,
I think your density is probably ok along with the maximum 4ft pour.  How do you rationalize that the concrete will reduce the pressure? I went through this exercise on a 25ft high retaining wall in which we were considering styrofoam backfill.  The geotech came back with a
*reduced* lateral design pressure and a lot of assumptions regarding how the foam actually worked. In the end, we ended up going with soil nails.  One thing with the concrete fill, you do have to make sure that you are replacing all of the soil in the active or at-rest wedge to guarantee you still don't have lateral pressure.

Kevin